Sunday 4 October 2015

Dujanah progress

I've been pottering away at this Beeswing follow up called Dujanah for ages now. I wanted to make another game about community,  morals etc. It started as a game set in a village near Chernobyl, Belarus. After the Charlie Hebdo attack I felt that one of the big moral dilemmas of our time is religious violence and misconceptions regarding, so I decided to set the game in a fictional Islamic majority country, keeping some of the stories. Now the game is a hodgepodge of things and I'm going with that. 

continued after the jump



During talks and research for this project I've noticed folk bringing about different ways to stop conversation, eg "who is to say who is right?". From an educated liberal on Saudi government's surgical removal of the limbs of thieves: "You can't comment because you aren't of their culture". 

Some things I keep in mind:
-Those who suffer most at the hands of Islamists and extremists are Muslims (particularly women).
-Themes of: pluralism, intent, torture, modernity+barbarism etc 
-The game isn't about Islam, it is about people.
-It needs to be entertaining. 

Not sure how to end the game. I don't like how games need to have a clear end. Can't there just be a bunch of things then when you realise there's nothing left to do you switch off? It seems an appropriate "whimper" of an ending but also feels like an easy way out. 

So far I have one area left to do plus some interiors in regards to visuals, I still need to finalise a lot of the text and work out an ending. Things are really tough at the moment so I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to finish off these last things. Hopefully have a build up in a week or two for testers 



If you have any questions please don't hesitate. 



3 comments:

  1. This looks really promising. Since you encourage some questions, I have some questions regarding this.
    1 ) Will this be commercial ?
    2 ) I see that you want it as some kind of Beeswing, but with some differences. What are these differences ?
    3 ) I would like to be a tester of this game. Can I ?
    Pardon me for any rudeness / bad english, I will try to improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, thanks for the questions.
      1)I'm thinking so.
      2)The only difference really is the setting and the protagonist but these are quite radical changes.
      3)I think I'm ok for testers cheers.

      Delete